Is it time to change engine oil — we ask a question? The answer depends on the operating conditions of the machine. Authors Michael Kolodochkin and Alex Revin
Forwhen you need to change engine oil? The most popular answers are as follows: change during the next THAT will be replaced with the advent of winter (or summer), and wait for the round number on the odometer. And lately, the tooltip makes more light bulb on the dashboard – it’s time, they say! It is obvious that the smart light bulb takes into account not only miles, but engine hours. What you consider us?
Techmobile will work without requiring oil change. Clifford Simak. Ring around the Sun
Why change it?
Generally speaking, engine oil – product patient. And if to create it a haven – a clean brand new motor, medium speed, low load (read: work without overheating), it will last longer than say the smart books. But heaven is there where we are not. In real life, the oil literally begins to age since its relocation from the sealed canisters in the mazes of the engine. Starts oxidation, accelerating the permanent heating and cooling, leave detergent additives, accumulate dirt. Nothing unexpected in all this: the oil must not only lubricate and cool, but also to wash the motor as well as remove impurities. But it is clear that the rate of aging of the engine oil greatly depend on the conditions of his work.
Until recently it was customary to stipulate “difficult working conditions” under which motor oil ought to be changed more often than with “normal” driving. Meant primarily mountain roads and unpaved roads or driving with a heavy trailer etc. And then added to the list of the most menacing modern horror story with drive in traffic.
Harmful than this drive for oil? Yes, almost everything! In Carter it begins to rapidly deteriorate from contact with unburned fuel and broken through the crankcase gases. The oil temperature will rise due to the lack of airflow: the oxidation will accelerate. Because of the inevitable growth of low-temperature deposits increased oil contamination is provided. And since at a low speed deteriorating conditions of lubrication in the cylinder-piston group (low linear speed of movement – there is no oil wedge increases wear), all wear products in varying concentration necessary would be in the oil. Iron, aluminum, chromium, who knows what else…
Choosing engine oil for your car
From the foregoing it should be clear at least one thing on this subject will be written by dozens of PhD. Because a clear answer to the question of when exactly the engine you need to change the oil, does not exist. And the magic guiding light is not on all cars. And how it is guided – it is dark. But we will try to do without a PhD and without a bulb.
Calendar? Odometer? Engine hours? Fuel?
Until the machine warranty, all “butter” questions would be better addressed to servicemen. But then it all depends on the operating conditions of the machine. It is conditionally possible to divide all cars into three major groups.
● The machine.. Annual mileage – the strength of a couple of thousand miles, mostly from the country and to the country. In General, almost always is and sometimes goes.
● The car of the day. Goes basically from Friday evening until Sunday night. As a rule, drive country, the annual run – ten-two thousand kilometers.
● Car city employee. Run every day, constantly pushing in the tubes. A small annual mileage – with tens of thousands of kilometers.
It is clear that our division into groups is conditional, but the principle is clear. Clear and recommendations about oil changes. For example, the above-mentioned. (and these drivers are constantly calling to the editor with this issue!) we recommend you to be guided only by the calendar. A year has passed, change the oil, even if the odometer readings have not changed.
With the machine of the day all is clear. Mode drive such a car in today’s conditions are close to ideal: high average speed (say 50 km/h) can be guided, as in the past century, the odometer value. For example, drove 15 000 km – change oil.
● But what to do residents of cities? Average speed of 20 km/h, daily distance of thirty kilometers, but this man spends every day in the car for several hours. It is clear that on the highway at the same time could pass a few more times. And if you only look at the odometer, then mentally you need to divide everything in two – no engine oil mentioned 15,000 km just will not stand.
● However, there is another way. Because the city car runs a lot but runs when it is small, it makes sense to measure its mileage is in kilometers, but in hours. So at all times received, for example, the owners of outboard motors. Technically, the problem is solved on time: it is enough to install in the car hour meter. In selling them quite a lot – both electronic and Electromechanical. Connect the meter to any circuit activated by starting the engine, and, actually, everything! The non-volatile memory, the off not afraid.
Now a little arithmetic. Suppose vehicle statement prescribes to replace the oil at least every 15 000 km At an average speed of 50 km/h this corresponds to 300 hours. If we take this value as a benchmark, and if lower average speeds, change the oil after the same 300 hours, although the mileage will less.
● Actually, there is a fourth method. Many readers argue that one should focus on the quantity of fuels fired. Roughly speaking, burned a thousand gallons of fuel – ready to change the oil.
But this method is only suitable for those who have the patience to collect fuel receipts and then sum the gallons burned.
In addition, in a similar way it is difficult to compare, for example, three-cylinder Matiz and a full-sized American SUV with “eight” under the hood. Therefore, the choice of such an algorithm should start from an average for machine consumption, given its class to conduct their own “accounts”.
● And last. In some cases, the impetus for an immediate oil change can serve as its actual state. For example, if the engine dipstick terrifying hanging drop, similar to tar or oil, the consistency began to resemble the water, no time to think. It is clear that monitoring will from time to time to climb under the hood, but we believe that this is not a bad habit.
Our experiment: to wash or not to wash the engine?